switchSENSE® chips are generally robust and long-lasting, if handled and stored under recommended conditions.
Instructions for chip storage:
- Store the chip at 4 °C in its original packing, whenever it is not used for experiments.
- Do not freeze a switchSENSE® chip!
- To increase the chip life time, the DNA nanolevers should be stored in double-stranded form without attached ligand molecules. Thus, in switchBUILD add the standby routine with regeneration step at the end of your measurement. This ensures that the DNA nanolevers are hybridized with their complementary strands prior to ejecting the chip.
- The flow channels should be as dry as possible. When the chip is ejected from the DRX instrument, the used flow channels are vented with air for drying. Nevertheless, small droplets of buffer can remain in the flow channel. Therefore, it is advisable to manually purge the used flow channel with compressed gas (dust remover, nitrogen line).
- For short term storage (e.g. after an overnight measurement), the chip can remain inside the DRX instrument. Ensure to add a standby step at the end of the assay, which will purge the flow channels with air.
Instructions for chip handling:
- Always wear gloves when handling a chip to avoid contamination of the flow channels and finger prints on the glass surface.
- The chip is best handled using vacuum tweezers. Please be aware that vacuum tweezers can release the chip unexpectedly. The drop might result in damage to the chip. So please make sure to position your other hand below the chip.
- Please avoid touching the contact pads (golden squares) used for electric connection of the sensor electrodes as this might damage the DNA layers on the electrodes.
- When inserting the chip into the chip holder, make sure that the chip is in the correct orientation. This is the case, if you can read the “Dynamic Biosensors” logo on the chip.
- After extensive experiments, it is possible that the chip cannot be lifted at ease from the chip holder using vacuum tweezers. In such a situation, carefully loosen the chip by lifting it at one of the corner indentations using a clean pipette tip. Afterwards, the chip can easily be lifted with vacuum tweezers.